Saturday, May 13, 2023

SIX MILE CYPRESS SLOUGH PRESERVE—Nature Nonfiction

Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve





The moment I enter, all cares disappear. Walking through the iron gate, I venture into a reverenced habitat, nature’s holy cathedral. I absorb energy from the mighty cypresses reigning as sentinels to the most majestic wetland in Florida. A tranquil atmosphere entrances me as fellow explorers meditatively take their place in this haven.
Stunning. Does that adequately describe the preserve that protects Florida’s valued and endangered wildlife? I stand in my nature church with my soul captured, communing with divine lifeforms within Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve.
Slowly I traverse the wooden pathway and behold a vast population of plants, such as bromeliads and orchids. Their floral scent relaxes me. A small rabbit rests next to a Saw palmetto, while a raccoon hangs in an American Elm above.
Water clings to my arm hairs as the humid air carries hempvine’s sweet aroma to my senses. I close my eyes and allow the experience to remove the day’s stress. In the background, the grunting of a boar calls my attention, almost sounding like an alligator. I open my eyes and watch the portly animal tenaciously uprooting a plant. Two little piglets leave their mama’s side to venture through the swamp as their little brown and pink bodies scavenge along the ground.
Traveling wildlife uses the slough as a resting stop. I, too, use the slough as my hiatus. Here, my worries and problems don’t exist. The wetlands wash away my troubles as I feel closer to nature and God in the protective enclosure of the canopy. As I venture through the sacred corridor, I instantly find a shallow pond with a gathering of egrets, their long necks carrying them with the lordship of a swan.
I linger at Pop Ash Pond, watching a procession of turtles on a log. The charming turtles move around to capture the sun’s rays and warm their bodies.
I rest at Gator Lake and scan the still waters. Excitement rushes in as I see a dark knob protruding from the water. But the joy dissipates as I realize it is only a log. I keep browsing until I find the prize—an alligator with the bonus of two babies. I lean over the railing and allow time to pass as I try not to intrude on the special relationship of these reptiles. The mama hardly moves, appearing like a waxed figure, yet her babies climb over her and then roll off into the water. As I take in the beauty of the lake, a Wood Stork stops to fish. The long-legged water bird is almost the size of a Great Blue Heron. It would be a treat if I saw a Heron today.
I go through the preserve when my phone vibrates against my leg. My work cruelly intrudes upon my serenity. My lunch break came and went. Somehow, I lost two hours in my paradise. Sadly, I make my way to the parking lot, leaving a bit of my soul behind. For me, Six Mile Cypress Slough is the most enchanting place on earth.
___________________________________________________________________
Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve
by Stephanie Daich


No comments:

Post a Comment