Thursday, June 8, 2023

ELECTROCUTED INTO SUBMISSION -Flash Fiction

 Electrocuted into Submission



A surge of electricity zapped me, contracting my muscles into a full-body Charlie Horse. Four seconds of unbearable pain.
"Ah!" I cried, touching the implant behind my left temple.
"Tell me again why you don't have to wear an implant?" I had asked my friend Shirly the last time we were together.
"Because my BMI is under 25," she had said. "The insurance company only makes those who are fat, I mean overweight. Shoot, I am not calling you fat, Alexis. Anyways, as long as you are under 25 BMI, you don't have to wear one."
"Mom made me get it," I said.
Shirly shrugged. "Have you tried losing weight?"
I almost punched her.
"Here." Shirly handed me her phone. "Read this article about it."
In order to bring the cost of health care down, the bill passed, allowing all insurance companies to put tele-devices in their patients to promote healthy living.
Healthy living! What a joke. The implant would buzz every sixty minutes of inactivity, ready to inflict pain. I got electrocuted if I didn't get up and move for ten minutes.
"This time, the government had overreached its boundaries," I thought as I stood for my ten minutes of activity.
________________________________________________________________
Electrocuted into Submission
by Stephanie Daich

No comments:

Post a Comment