Tuesday, December 13, 2022

DEAR CORRECTIONAL OFFICER -Poetry


You look at me, and all you see is a criminal.
I bought into that image and only regarded myself as a nothing as well.
But my angel rescued me from that destructive thinking.
Chaplin Teresa.
She showed me my value.
MY VALUE.
I have worth!
I am not worthless.
Yes, I screwed up, but Chaplin Teresa taught me that she also screws up,
And, that even you, Dear Correctional Officer, make mistakes.
Chaplin Teresa demonstrated love to me.
I emulated it.





I made it part of who I am.
I am not a screwup.
I screwed up.
Human life is not black or white.
I am not all good or all bad.
Yes, I’ve made bad mistakes.
But I believe I have more good in me than bad.
You wouldn’t know that. You have refused to look.
But Chaplin Teresa noticed my soul.
Maybe, Dear Correctional Officer, you should start looking into our souls.
You might be surprised at what you find.


No comments:

Post a Comment