Wednesday, July 12, 2023

FALLING DOWN THE WATERFALL -Memoir

 Falling Down the Waterfall




I would die if I couldn't reach the water's surface for oxygen. The water's strong current dragged me downward for the third time, not allowing me to breathe life-sustaining air. If I passed out, my body would tumble over the 100-foot cliff of Havasu Falls.
My friends and I were hiking two pools above Havasu Falls only moments ago. We had spent the previous day descending 2,400 feet in the desert to the Havasupai campground, each carrying 45 pounds of gear.
The Havasupai tribal land nestles in Grand Canyon, Arizona. This oasis of blue-green water with its five majestic waterfalls makes it one of my favorite places on earth. The deep red sand backdrops the Havasupai village where the Supai Indian tribe generously shares their land with us.
"Let's cross here," Travis had said to our small group, exploring the natural pools above Havasu Falls. The bright sun burned our skin as we adventured.
Travis and a couple of others safely crossed over a waterfall. I prided myself in my hiking agility and thought nothing as I made my way over the top of the waterfall. I should have used prudence because when my feet touched the mossy rocks, I slipped, crashing into the water, inches above the waterfall's drop-off. My hands grabbed a boulder to keep from going over.
Travis ran to the spot I had just tried to cross. I smiled at him and said, "I guess I am going down." I couldn't hold on anymore, and the force of the water sent me over the falls.
The small chute waterfall had a minimal drop, so I wasn't scared. I tumbled down the rock face, getting more scraped by the rocks than I thought I would. I plunged into the lower pool. After my body hit the pool's bottom, I swam toward the surface when an incredible force dragged me to the bottom of the pool. My feet touched the base, and I shoved upwards. Just as I almost surfaced, the water ripped me down again. The force reminded me of a washing machine agitating the water and forcefully tossing me around.
The current kept me submerged in the pool above the 100-foot Havasu Falls. My body would tumble over the 100-foot vertical drop if I passed out. I had not planned to swim over such a massive drop-off, but I had fallen into the pool and had to get out.
I tried to surface for the third time, and the current dragged me back down for the third time.
I didn't know how much air I had left in my lungs, but it didn't seem like I would break free of the water's strong current. I had always imagined drowning as a panicking situation, thinking the anxiety from not breathing would cause me to suffocate faster. It surprised me to have a calmness pass over me. Not only could I not breathe, but I also didn't feel the need to breathe. Instead, I felt peace.
Lots of thoughts rushed through my head. I pondered that my husband and children would never see me again. How would my family react to the news of my death? I wish they'd know that it wasn't a horrific death. I should pray, but I wasn't sure I deserved God's mercy to rescue me. Although I wasn't a lawbreaker, my conscience stood aware of my imperfections and sins. Maybe I deserved an early death, apropos of all the disappointment I caused God.
I again pushed off the bottom and swam toward the top in my calmness. I probably would die soon. I didn't feel ready. I hadn't had the chance to repent or straighten my life out.
I decided to fight with everything I had when my head went fuzzy. My face broke the surface, only to have the water's current drag me down again. At least I had gotten a small breath of air just as my head blacked out momentarily.
Travis had seen me bob up for that split second, and he knew where to stick the log. His log hit me, and I grabbed it. Travis straddled a dangling tree branch and pulled me out of the pool.
Travis rescued me.
I rested in my tent that night, alive to see another day. I had much to contemplate. As I faced death, so many thoughts ran through my mind. It is crazy how it takes death to shock us into living.
What had I been doing with my life up to that point? What little things had brought me unhappiness? I now realized how insignificant it had all been. I had almost lost everything, drowning or going over the 100-foot waterfall. Yet, God had saved me.
Having my life spared shifted my perspective. I had an unshakable realization of the value of living. Gratitude became a dominant factor for me, seeing everything as a gift. I easily could have died in that pool, and yet I lived. What did I have to give others? How could I better myself?
That day above Havasu Falls, a strong current had almost suffocated my life from me, yet I had been given a fresh start to life. I am thankful I almost died to find true meaning and value in living.
I still spend much time hiking and repelling in the great outdoors. I find sanctuary in nature. Nothing compares to time spent outside and seeing the beauty of our world.

______________________________________________________________
Falling Down the Waterfall
by Stephanie Daich


No comments:

Post a Comment