Wednesday, July 12, 2023

THE RACE -Fiction

 The Race




 





 
Dad said we should support Mom, but I just wanted to stay in bed. Mom had trained for the race for six months. He dragged me to see her off on a chilly Saturday at an unrealistic hour. I tried hiding my unselfishness and didn't want to go.
"Hold this, will you?" Mom said. She slapped a bracelet on my wrist and bent down to tie her shoes.
I took the bracelet off and slapped it back on my arm.
"Don't play with it," Mom barked. "That bracelet is the most important part of this race. I have to wear it. It tracks my time."
"Hey, sweetheart," Dad said, jogging to us. "The bathroom line has become smaller. I know you needed to go."
"Good idea," Mom said, sprinting to the line.
"Dad, can I wait in the car?" I didn't want to be there.
"Samantha, stop it. We are here to support Mom."
"Grrr."—what a stupid way to spend a Saturday morning.
"Runners, this is your five-minute warning. Please line up at the start line." The announcer calls.
"Oh no, Mom is still in the bathroom," I said.
"I will find her," Dad replied.
My hands felt like ants crawled on them. Mom couldn't miss the start. Where was Mom?
I scanned the runners. Where was she?
"On your mark, get set, go!" The announcer called.
Those psychological ants moved down my legs and to my feet.
Dad came to my side, smiling.
"Dad, where is Mom? She missed the start?"
"She made it." His smile made me smile.
"Phew!"
"Come on, Samantha," he said without looking back.
I scratched my itchy arm. "Oh no, Mom's bracelet!" It still had it on my arm.
"That bracelet is the most important part of this race. I have to wear it," I remembered Mom saying.
Runners still ran through the start line. I looked back at Dad.
I knew what I had to do. I had to catch Mom. She needed her bracelet.
My anxiety rose. I wanted to make sure I didn't sabotage Mom's hard training. I used that burst of nervous energy and ran through the start line.
I will just find Mom and slap this on her wrist.
"I will be right back," I yelled to Dad.
I blazed past runners, determined to find Mom. I didn't know the importance of the bracelet, but she needed it.
A sea of faces surrounded me as I heard heavy breathing from the other runners. I couldn't find Mom, and I panicked.
I pushed myself, even though I felt like quitting. I can't give up, or Mom might lose because of this dumb bracelet on my arm.
It often felt like we were packed together like crayons shoved in a box, and I had to push through people to get by. Other times, I had stretches of emptiness. And yet, I couldn't find Mom.
It didn't take long until I saw the backside of the blue arch and ran through it. People cheered and snapped pictures on the other side. Eventually, I saw Dad and ran into his arms with tears blurring my vision.
"I couldn't find her," I said. My lungs tightened, and I coughed each time I tried to breathe.
"Do you realize what you just did?" Dad said in a high voice.
I looked at the bracelet and my feet. It wasn't my fault mom had put the bracelet on me. But, yeah, I knew I caused her to lose the race.
"You won first place!" Dad said, jumping up and down.
My head popped up, and I looked around me. Several people surrounded me with flashing lights and excitement.
When the last runner came in, the race officials whisked me to a stand where they put the first-place medal around my neck.
Had I just won the entire race? How? I am only thirteen. Somehow, I had even won the adults.
Finally, I spotted Mom. I felt excitement and shame. Before I could apologize, she lifted me off the podium and swung me around.
"You won! I am happier than I would be if I had won."
I looked Mom in the eyes. She did look happy.
I made her happy.
I had only been trying to return the bracelet to her. But it turned out it tracked my run since I wore it. I ran the 5K in 17.4 minutes. I didn't know what that meant, but Mom said I have a future in running.
In trying to help Mom, I discovered a new talent. Thankfully I got out of bed that early Saturday morning. After that, it was Mom who rose early to support me.

_________________________________________________
The Race
by Stephanie Daich


No comments:

Post a Comment